Monday, March 5, 2012

Highlights from Grodstein/King

Lauren Grodstein talked with Stephen King about her novel A Friend of the Family, as part of the Algonquin Book Club on Saturday, March 3rd. They had the genuine chemistry of writers who respect and admire each other. It was really wonderful to watch (and they're both hilarious!). If you missed it, check out the archived video here.

"I just liked to make stuff up and it blew my mind when people believed me."

"I can't believe that someone who isn't my mother is reading this stuff."

Audience question: "Where do your ideas come from?"
Lauren: "The alchemy that created the novel remains mysterious, and I'm pleased about that."

"I woke up one morning and there was the voice of a doctor and he had done something bad."

Audience question: "How did you make your characters so multi-faceted?"
Lauren: "I believed that they were real."





No comments:

Post a Comment