Sunday, August 22, 2010

Lily King answers our Top Five

Lily King answers our author questionnaire. She is the author of The Pleasing Hour andThe English Teacher. Her most recent novel, Father of the Rain, won the New England Book Award for Fiction. She will be reading and signing at Water Street on Thursday, August 26th at 7pm.

1. What's on your nightstand right now?

Colum McCann's Let the Great World Spin and Paul Harding's Tinkers. I'm a year behind on my contemporary lit reading.

2. How do you write?

I write while my children are school, from about 8:30-2:30 Monday through Friday. No weekends. No holidays. I write the first draft of my novels by hand in lined spiral notebooks, then type them bit by bit into the computer. I wish I could write with music in the room but I can't at all, though sometimes if I go to the coffee shop, I can handle the music there if it's not too loud. I have one cup of tea, usually around eleven in the morning, which is the highlight of my day.

3. Name the first time or moment you realized you were a writer.

I loved to write all my life, but I don't think I allowed myself to believe I was a writer until my first short story was published in 1992. When I got a copy of that issue of Glimmer Train, I felt something shift.

4. What are you working on now?

I'm on my book tour now, and haven't been able to write for weeks, and I'm aching for my study and my cup of tea. When I can get back there, I'll continue working on a collection of short stories as well as a new novel I started when I was at an impasse with Father of the Rain.

5. Favorite recent find?

I was just on North Haven Island in Maine for a reading and I stayed at Nebo Lodge Inn. It was perfect: delicious food, wonderful staff, truly relaxing even though I was there for work.

1 comment:

  1. Tours are survival for people who are looking to run away from their hectic daily life. So keep in mind whenever you wish to go somewhere visit a destination of your choice. You should always plan for a destination which is serene. Enjoy your trip and cherish the moments.

    ReplyDelete